June 4, 2021
We are so excited to welcome you back to Fairmount!
The Session voted to resume in person worship at our typical summer 10:00 a.m. time. On June 6 we will worship outside, and on June 20 we will worship in the sanctuary (keep reading for more details!). The remaining summer Sundays will be first Sunday of the month outside, other Sundays inside.
As a reminder, Session and its Re-entry Task Force put in place the conditions under which we will return to in-sanctuary and outdoor worship. They are listed here – along with the progress made:
- Have live-streaming capability, so that all are welcome and included in the same worship service together, whether in the sanctuary, outdoors or at home.
- Prepare the sanctuary for the constraints and adaptations of the use of this space, as spelled out in our guidelines.
PROGRESS: Things like roping off pews, creating signage, and training ushers are nearing completion. A registration form will be sent out through email each week (Mondays/Tuesdays) for the following Sunday and calling the church office will also be an option. This registration process ensures that we are maintaining our current capacity policy in our sanctuary, as well as being prepared in the event that contact tracing is needed. June 13th will be a soft opening where church officers and their families have agreed to help us practice and finalize our Sunday morning procedures. We want to make sure we are prepared to worship together in ways that are safe for those in the sanctuary, and also provide a meaningful worshipping experience for those remaining at home. Beginning on with worship on June 20th, we will open the registration to our entire congregation.
ONCE IN THE SANCTUARY
Once we return to worship in the sanctuary, it is important to realize that it will not be like suddenly switching back to the way things were. We pray you will find a warm Fairmount welcome, beautiful organ, piano and vocal music, and the presence of the Spirit among us as we gather with joy in our hearts, while also remembering that the following precautions will be in place:
- Signing up in advance for worship
- Vaccinated people are requested to wear their mask when not in their personal sitting area.
- Masks are required for unvaccinated people over the age of 2 while at church, either inside or outside.
- When attending an outdoor worship service or activity, vaccinated people are requested to wear their mask when not in their personal sitting area.
- We will continue to seat people socially distanced and both indoor and outdoor worship services.
- Speaking responsively (ex. Call to worship, Lord’s Prayer) is allowed with or without a mask on when people are at their seats
- People will be encouraged to listen or hum rather than sing
- Offering plates kept by sanctuary doors or at the exit to Andersen Hall
- Dismissal at end of service by rows
- No coffee hour or communal meals
- Childcare will not be provided
SMALL GROUP MEETINGS
SMALL GROUP MEETINGS
- Small groups of up to 20 people allowed to meet in the church building.
- When meeting with a small group, if everyone is vaccinated, people may remove their masks once they reach their meeting location. Masks are to be worn in common areas where meetings are not taking place (i.e., bathrooms, hallways, when walking to a meeting location).
A FEW NOTES...
We broadcast every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. and hope you will join in and even share these services with your friends and family!
Outdoor worship on June 6, July 4, August 1 and September 5th - Make sure to bring a lawn chair or blanket for you and your family. There will be spots with morning sun and some tents provided shade. Chairs will be available for you to use if needed. On June 6, we also invite you to bring a picnic lunch for your family. We will be celebrating Strawberry Sunday with the traditional strawberry shortcake (gluten free available) and Rocket Car. We will ask family units to remain together while eating, and will provide individually packaged shortcake. Both Sundays we will have live Jazz music for our worship service.
Whether we are together inside or outside, we are following all required health and safety protocols set by local and state health officials, including social distancing, and recommended mask wearing for all gatherings including children. And we will continue to monitor local conditions and CDC guidelines and adjust as needed. We long to be reunited in our worship space, and to share in the praise and prayer of our worship together. Join us as we continue to pray for healing for all around us and pray with compassion and care for those who continue to suffer.
With joyful anticipation,
Bourbon Ziegler, Clerk of Session